Spanish Chickpea and Spinach Stew with Chorizo
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 1-inch knob ginger, peeled
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil (plus more for serving)
- ½ cup diced Spanish chorizo
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 12 ounces fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chickpeas (do not drain)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Kosher salt
- Drain tomatoes in a metal strainer set over a medium bowl. Transfer liquid and half of tomatoes to a blender along with ginger. Blend on high speed until completely pureed. Set aside. Roughly chop remaining peeled tomatoes and set aside separately.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over high heat until shimmering add onion, garlic, and paprika, and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and very slightly browned. Add tomato-ginger puree (it should immediately start simmering) and stir to combine.
- Add spinach a handful at a time, allowing each handful to wilt before adding the next. Reduce heat to medium and allow spinach mixture to simmer, stirring occasionally, until spinach is completely tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chickpeas (with their liquid) bay leaves, and soy sauce, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a bare simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened into a thick stew, about 30 minutes total.
- Season to taste with kosher salt. Place a small amount of chorizo in each bowl and serve immediately, ladling into bowls over chorizo.
TIP: this makes a fantastic vegetarian meal – just omit the chorizo!
Red text denotes items available at Gourmet Pantry.